[Xen-users] Xen with dom0 requiring initrd

To: "xen ml" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen with dom0 requiring initrd
From: Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:43:40 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 07:43:49 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anybody else is using Xen with a Dom0 linux kernel that relies on intird to boot up?

I am, because I retrofitted Xen onto a system that was already using LVM root directories.  So, I need to conifgure my Dom0 to use initrd to load and configure lvm.

I successfully built the kernel and initrd twice (once for x86 and once for amd64 -- my system dual-boots these two, with x86 for everyday work, and amd64 just to try it out).  In both cases it took a lot of fiddling, and I guess I didn't keep good enough notes, because I don't recall exactly how I built it, and don't seem to be able to re-create it!  I've "lost the recipe".

 Now, I'd like to upgrade to xen==3.0.4 with domU==2.6.16.33, but I don't seem to remember how.  I'm pretty sure I used Gentoo's "genkernel" program to build the initrrd file, but couldn't use it to build the kernel and modules, so I built them manually using the makefiles.  But beyond that level of detail, I don't recall.

Well, my question:  Is anyone else using initrd in this way, and if so, can you share any guidelines and best practices, suggested reading, etc.?

Thanks,
Derek.