[Xen-users] One Disk, multiple DomUs and Linux Swap

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] One Disk, multiple DomUs and Linux Swap
From: "Reinhard Brandstaedter" <Reinhard.Brandstaedter@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:37:22 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 01:37:19 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

If I use one logical volume (with complete partition layout) as a
read-only disk for multiple DomUs it works fine and I can start as many
DomUs as I want, as long they don't write to the filesystems on that
disk.

But what is if this logical volume contains a swap partition? The swap
partition is also shared between multiple DomUs and needs to be
writeable. So it can't be a partition on the logical volume.

This setup won't work for multiple DomUs then, right?
name = "test-%d" %vmid
memory = "128"
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vm/test-root,xvda,r']
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:29:ef:a8, bridge=xenbr0', ]
nographic=1
bootloader="/usr/bin/pygrub"
vcpus=1

I'd have to specify an extra disk device for each DomU which contains
the swap partition, right?
like 'phy:/dev/vm/test-swap-%d,xvda,r' %vmid

Thanks,
Reinhard