Re: [Xen-users] Re: 100% safe way to backup domU: (was Yet another backu

To: Ligesh <myself@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: 100% safe way to backup domU: (was Yet another backup)
From: "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:25:26 +0100
Cc: Roger Lucas <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:25:42 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 11 Jan 2007 at 17:33, Ligesh wrote:

[...]
> > Don't you need a LVM-sync-and-snapshot instead? I think a device could
> > find out atll the buffers that have data for it. So it could request
> > writing all those buffers (while disallowing (or ignoring) new dirty
> > buffers for that device).
> >

>   How? The buffers are in the domU, the device is in the Dom0. The only

Still the DomU has a device it maintains buffers for. Having flushed the
buffers
in DomU is rather independ of the data being written in Dom0 as well, but
that's
the LVM snapshot we are talking about.

>   way is to send a sync to the DomU, and then pause it. Which is again the
>   sync-and-pause command.

Things may change between the sync and the pause. YOU were talking about a 100%
method, not about a best effort.

> > It's as ugly as anything else.
> >
> > "For every problem there's a solution that's simple, neat, and wrong"
> > (In Kernighan & Plaugher about C programming I think)
>
>  That's Mencken. Kernigan an pike were never good at aphorisms. That was
>  Mencken's forte.

OK, maybe they quoted him there. I read that book about 18 years ago, so please
forgive...

Regards,
Ulrich