[Xen-users] Full virtualization status.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Full virtualization status.
From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:48:27 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 06:48:59 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.

I'm trying to use Xen with full virtualization mode on gentoo linux:

Linux slut 2.6.16.28-xen #1 SMP Tue Jan 9 11:49:55 CET 2007 x86_64 AMD
Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

I've installed those packages:

app-emulation/xen
      Latest version installed: 3.0.2

app-emulation/xen-tools
      Latest version installed: 3.0.2-r4

sys-kernel/xen-sources
      Latest version installed: 2.6.16.28-r1

The full dmesg from this box is available at:

        http://garage.freebsd.pl/xen/slut.dmesg

Kernel configuration and xen domU configuration are available at:

        http://garage.freebsd.pl/xen/slut.kernconf
        http://garage.freebsd.pl/xen/freebsd-cd.hvm

In short my domU config looks like this:

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 64
name = "FreeBSD-CD"
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [ 'file:/root/freebsd.img,ioemu:hda,w' ]
device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
cdrom='/root/6.1-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso'
boot='d'
sdl=0
vnc=1
vncviewer=0
stdvga=0
serial='pty'
ne2000=0

I don't limit dom0 memory (but I also tried to limit it, but no luck as
well).

Now. My problem is that when I start my domU:

        # xm create /etc/xen/freebsd-cd.hvm

System hard resets. No error message, no panic message, just hard reset.

I also tried to run FreeBSD in 64bit mode inside domU, but the effect is
the same. When I installed x86 version of gentoo, it worked (more or
less), at least it didn't reset my box, but I heard, that I can't run
64bit operating system on 32bit dom0 and I want to run both 32bit and
64bit systems in domUs.
I also tried redhat 7.3 and solaris 10 in domU, but it also resets the
box.

Does anyone have any idea why it doesn't work? I've no Xen experience,
so I may be doing simply something wrong, but I'd expect an error
instead of a reboot still.

What is the status of full virtualization? Is it production ready? I
don't need extreme stability, I want to run build systems in there for
our software.

What else can I do? Can I provide more debug or any info which could
help do diagnoze the problem?

Is there anyone out there who can help me??:)

pjd@xxxxxxxxxxx                           http://www.FreeBSD.org