Re: [Xen-users] cant start xend.

On Jan 10, 2007, at 9:40 PM, Tim Post wrote:

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 21:13 -0500, Brock Palen wrote:
I have installed xen-3.0.4 from source.  It worked on one machine and
xend start  works,  on the other though ( i thought i did the same on
both but i guess i didn't)  I'm getting:

xen2 ~ # xend start
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/sbin/xend", line 47, in ?
     libpath = xen.util.auxbin.libpath()
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'libpath'

Im using gentoo  There machines are brand new bare metal,  I have
rebuilt xen a few times trying to make sure that a new /usr/lib64/
python/xen  is put in place.  I even reinstalled python and tried but
i still get the error.

I don't know python so any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.

I got the same thing with 3.0.3 using x86_64 on Ubunty LTS and never
could get it resolved, after a week of re-tracing my steps I eventually
gave up and just decided to live with x86_32. A few other people also
has the same exact error, I believe one was using Gentoo, the rest of us were using Debian or variant thereof. We all did the same thing you did
to no avail.

I just figured it out, I had tried to use the gentoo packages before i went with the official release. I had a old xen python module around that didnt support that command. It was in /usr/lib64/ python2.4/xen. It belonged to the xen-tools package. One i unmerged it (emerge -C xen-tools) I only had the one package in /usr/lib64/ python/xen placed by the installer.

I found this by using locate (or slocate), you could use find if you wanted

locate auxbin.py

and make sure you dont have two installed!!

I hope that helps you out.  It worked perfect for me.

I think, because a few people had the same exact problem over a few
various distros that it is a Python issue and not Xen per say, probably missing a package as far as I was able to troubleshoot it .. but didn't get much further. I looked for other python*-dev that indicated arch 64
that could be installed, but didn't see any..

Hope this saves you at least a little time resolving it.. please do post
back if your able to nail it down.

Best,
--Tim

Brock Palen