Re: [Xen-users] Xen bypass for SMP nodes

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen bypass for SMP nodes
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 17:18:57 +0000
Cc: ssomeguy45 ssomeguy45 <ssomeguy45@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 09:18:14 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I am just wondering if Xen 3.0.3 has support for the bypass of the
> hypervisor for intranode communication.
>
> For example, if I have a 2 CPU SMP node and have a guest OS running on each
> CPU, is there a way to bypass Xen completely for intranode communication,
> i.e. communication between both guest OS?

Well, it's possible for them to set up directly shared memory using grant
tables (although you'd have to write code to set this up in the way
appropriate for your application).

That said, you'd still have to do some kind of synchronisation...  this would
ever require Xen event channels or use some kind of polling ring interface
(similar to IB)...

> I am aware of research related to internode Xen bypass
> (nowlab.cse.ohio-state.edu/publications/conf-papers/2006/usenix06.pdf) but
> have searched the web to no avail for information regarding intranode
> bypass.

Well, in principle I think you should be able to use an Infiniband device for
intranode bypass IO too - ends of an IB communication can be on the same
node.  In this case, the IB host adaptor would be acting as (essentially) a
memory-memory DMA engine.  I *think* this is supposed to be technically
doable, but don't know if it's supported.

Hope this helps you some.  Do you have a specific application in mind?

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!