Re: [Xen-users] XenExpress question - fedora image?

To: christian <grassu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XenExpress question - fedora image?
From: Jim Lynch <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 15:46:02 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 12:45:42 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
christian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed xenexpress. Very nice!
>
> But I have to install fedora4 and this isn't delivered with
> xenexpress. Is there a description how to additional domU's than the
> preinstalled ones? I couldn't find any hints in the doku or in this
> forum.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> grassu

If you have extra disk space, the most successful I've been at getting
domUs running is to install a native system on a separate partition,
boot that system, download the xen source and create a domU kernel for
that distro.  Then copy the kernel over to your dom0 partition.  Be
careful not to overwrite a kernel by the same name.
Trying to use prebuilt kernels has not always worked for me.   And  so
far, I've been unable to make any kernel boot debian/sarge as a guest
under FC5 and have a network connection.  But that's been my only
failure to date.  Booting debian as a guest works from Centos4.4 and
SuSE 10.1 and SuSE 10.2.

And I've never been able to get a dom0 working from debian/sarge.  It
never can find my root partition even though it's the same one a non
virtualized kernel is quite happy with.  I've got some new hardware
coming tomorrow to see if that makes a difference.

Jim.