[Xen-users] Semi-Noob looking for some general answers

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Semi-Noob looking for some general answers
From: "Gary W. Smith" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 12:03:28 -0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 06:35:38 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

Ive been using Xen for some months now under the rPath distro.  Xen to this point has been stable and simple to use.  That being said, Ive been trying new things (since last week) and have run into one road block after another.  Most of these road blocks seem to be issues with distros and not Xen.

Using rPath the DomU is built to include a Xen guest kernel inside of it.  Using a non-xen enabled DomU is a simple matter of mounting the image, chrooting and then upgrading using their tools to xen enabled kernel.  This has worked great for me.

So I have decided to start working with other distros.  I started with the pre made ones over at jailtime.  Trying to use those distros I found that they didnt work unless I had a DomU kernel inside of the Dom0 (hey, its still a learning experience).  So I copied the rPath DomU kernel + libs from the image to a directory on the Dom0 and pointed the gentoo config there and sure enough it booted.  But inside of the DomU I dont have any of the libs for the kernel (such as iptables, etc). My next try was to include the /lib directory from the rPath DomU into the gentoo image and it booted just fine (using the bootloader = '/usr/bin/pygrub').  Everything appeared to work fine but I started slowing noticing odd things happen (including kernel panics).

Somewhat similar scenario of CentOS4 and Fedora6.  Each had their own problems.

Under Fedora6 (using kernel=/path/to/working/DomU/kernel) I tried running the yum install kernel-xen but this didnt work.

This lead me to look around for real kernel upgrade for each of the guest Distros I wanted to use.  But I havent found any except of CentOS4 (which is 4.4-testing).

My first thoughts were: Is there a better approach to this?  Is there a simpler approach to this?

My opinion is that some of these Distros seem to be lagging behind for DomU support in general.  Id like to use each one of the Distros with their kernels any not some kernel from another Distro who may have done things much differently.

Am I missing a bigger picture somewhere?  I dont might setting up an environment for each distro and compiling a new kernel for each one based upon their existing (Ive re-compiled RHEL4 several times last year).  I figure that would be the ideal way but I dont want to do redundant work if its already done or in the pipe somewhere.

Gary Wayne Smith