[Xen-users] FC6 DomU: ifcfg-eth2 for pciback ethernet device renamed to

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] FC6 DomU: ifcfg-eth2 for pciback ethernet device renamed to ifcfg-eth2.bak?
From: John Morris {msbbk679} <John.Morris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 02:54:57 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 01:25:13 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I’m working on my first Xen installation.  FC6 Dom0 and DomU.  Trying to put a Shorewall into a DomU.  I’ve had some success with getting two xenbr#s for lan and dmz zones; also have one NIC hidden from Dom0, shows up as eth2 in DomU.

In Fedora, of course, eth2 is configured in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2. This works fine when the file is created and an ‘ifup’ command is issued.

The problem is, when rebooting the DomU, the ifcfg-eth2 file is renamed to ifcfg-eth2.bak.  I guess that since Xen thinks that the DomU only has 2 ethernet interfaces, that others should be disabled.  However, since I’m using pciback to add the third physical device, it appears to be slipping under Xen’s radar, and is being automatically disabled.

It’s unclear to me what is renaming the file.  I don’t see anything Xen-specific inside the DomU that could be doing this, and haven’t identified where it might be happening at xm create in the Dom0.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

            John