[Xen-users] What distro is best to use when tracking xen-unstable?

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] What distro is best to use when tracking xen-unstable?
From: "Bruce Montague" <Bruce_Montague@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:15:58 -0800
Delivery-date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:15:58 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, xen-users. Here is a naive question!

I have been building and using xen-unstable daily on one machine for a
couple of months and also using stock xen binary distributions on other
machines. (I've primarily been using FC6; so far this has mostly been a
learning exercise.) Many of the problems I've experienced using
xen-unstable seem to have been due to "normal" incompatible/out-of-phase
versions and upgrade paths between xen, the distribution, and other
external packages (Much of this likely reflects the xen 2.6.16 kernel
vs. FC6 2.6.18 kernel issue.)

Is there a recommended Linux distribution/version to use when tracking
xen-unstable, if one's goal is to track xen-unstable while also having a
source-development platform (not necessarily just for xen)? Is there a
"stock" distro/version used by the xen development team, or by a large
percentage of the xen core team? Is it best practice in this situation
to stick with a 2.6.16 environment? Basically, what is the most
tested/used environment for xen and xen-related development, given no
other pre-conditions?

I'm not partial to any particular Linux distribution. In regard to *ix
development I'm coming from a FreeBSD source-centric background. I'd
really like to build everthing, xen, kernel, apps, etc., from source,
whenever, while maximizing the probability that such builds will not
fail and also maximizing my general compatibility with other folks
tracking xen-unstable. Thus, I image a Debian distro would be my best
bet, but which one?

Any advice most appreciated,

- bruce