Re: [Xen-users] RE: [Xen-devel] Xen-3.0.3 migration problems

To: Adam Seering <aseering@xxxxxxxxx>, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RE: [Xen-devel] Xen-3.0.3 migration problems
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:05:04 +0000
Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bhatia, Nikhil" <bhatia@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 02:04:59 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 28/12/06 5:15 pm, "Adam Seering" <aseering@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm having this same problem.  The relocation service is enabled on
> both machines; neither has a firewall (sure, I care about
> security...), and there is no firewall between them.
>
> For a live migration, do the dom0 kernels and the source/target PC's
> hardware have to be the same?  I'm migrating from a stock Debian Etch-
> based Xen AMD64 system on a Pentium D 8xx (no HVM) to a Fedora Core 6
> Xen AMD64 system on a Pentium D 9xx, with HVM support enabled.

Migrating to a newer (more capable) processor should work. It's when
features silently disappear that guests can get upset. The dom0 kernel does
not matter but the version of the Xen toolstack might -- did you install Xen
and tools yourself on both boxes from a consistent version?

/var/log/xen/xend.log and /var/log/xen/xend-debug.log probably have
interesting info if things are going wrong (the logs may be big: if so it's
the tail that's interesting).

 -- Keir