[Xen-users] Re: Xen-users Digest, Vol 22, Issue 145

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Xen-users Digest, Vol 22, Issue 145
From: Michael Froh <michael.froh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 11:28:40 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 01:42:01 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: December 28, 2006 6:32:42 AM EST (CA)
To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Bhatia, Nikhil" <bhatia@xxxxxxxx>, xen- devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RE: [Xen-devel] Xen-3.0.3 migration problems

Ian Pratt wrote:
xm migrate --live vcs-dmz02 dmz03.ornl.gov

Error: can't connect: No route to host

Usage: xm migrate <Domain> <Host>

Have you edited /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp on both hosts to enable the
relocation service?

Best,
Ian

Does it need to be on both hosts? And do there need to be image files *already* in place on the target host in /var/lib/xen/ images/? And what if you've been using LVM managed disk partitions for your working Xen images?

Unfortunately, I'm finding the documentation for Xen troublesomely poor.

Nico.

From the Xen 3.0 PDF documentation
HTML - http://tx.downloads.xensource.com/downloads/docs/user/
PDF - http://bits.xensource.com/Xen/docs/user.pdf

From the HTML and PDF documents, Section 8.2:

"To perform a live migration, both hosts must be running Xen / xend and the destination host must have sufficient resources (e.g. memory capacity) to accommodate the domain after the move. Furthermore we currently require both source and destination machines to be on the same L2 subnet.

Currently, there is no support for providing automatic remote access to filesystems stored on local disk when a domain is migrated. Administrators should choose an appropriate storage solution (i.e. SAN, NAS, etc.) to ensure that domain filesystems are also available on their destination node. GNBD is a good method for exporting a volume from one machine to another. iSCSI can do a similar job, but is more complex to set up."

From the PDF document, Appendix A.4.6:

"VMX guests currently cannot be saved and restored, nor migrated. These features are
currently under active development."

From http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-12/ msg00233.html:

"I believe HVM save/restore/migration is planned for Xen 3.0.5."

Also check the comments in the xend-config.sxp for the settings needed for migration.

Cheers,
Michael.