Re: [Xen-users] Using CD drives with Xen 3.0.3 on CentOS 4.4

To: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Using CD drives with Xen 3.0.3 on CentOS 4.4
From: "M.A. Williamson" <maw48@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Dec 2006 20:13:19 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:13:24 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm afraid you're not going to be able to burn and optical disks from either paravirt or HVM domains for the time being :-(
Drat. I was looking at using a DomU to run rsnapshot for network snapshot access, and do DVD burning from those, rather than having to do it on Dom0.

Mmmmm. The best you could do at the moment would be to make isos and have dom0 pick them up somehow and burn them.

You *could* add a second IDE controller card to your system, export that to a guest via the PCI passthrough and then use that to drive a CD writer, but this would be rather heavyweight and imply trust of the guest OS.
Hmm. All the drives are SATA, it's only the CD/DVD drive that is IDE. Adding in another ATA card is begging for pain, especially physically routing the cables to the CD drive in the 1U servers I'm working with. That seems unwise.

Agreed. It's a theoretical option, but not something one would really want to do usually. The trouble is that it's only really possible to pass through complete PCI devices to domains, which would mean an entire controller.

When USB virtualisation is working (it may already work in HVM) it should be possible to pass a USB burner through to the guest, and that would enable this kind of use.
I'm already using an external USB storage device, via the "file:/dev/sdc1,sdc1,w' syntax, which seems workable for external USB drives.

Yep, that'll work but again breaks any special functionality. The advantage of the USB passthrough is that the guest can be given (almost) complete control of a USB device plugged into the host - and thus would be able to access all special features, including burning CDs, streaming video from webcams, etc.

Afraid so, sorry :-( For many uses (e.g. just grabbing some files from the disk), it should work OK. But you can't just boot off a CD-ROM in a PV domain, nor can you place CD music, etc.
Yeah. that needs to be made clear. The Xen configuration files simply accept it and seem to ignore it. Putting in useful error messages would help.

Yep. Well, exporting CD-ROMs to guests *is* a valid thing to do in the config files, so it's not exactly an error... however it would probably be worth clarifying what it can and can't do, e.g. in a comment in the example config.

It would also be nice if the guest kernel could maybe issue a more helpful error if unknown ioctls() were applied to the paravirt block device...

Thanks. How are you downloading the unstable source?

I get mine using mercurial:
hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg
Hmm. I'm not familiar with that source control system. (Ghods know I've worked with CVS, Perforce, Subversion, and some unspeakable homebrews!) Is there any reason to prefer it to the others, such as Subvresion which also supports branching properly?

Main reasons: Speed, Simplicity (easy to modify and enhance), Distributed (so each developer copy of the source is represented by a first class private repository, and there is no central server required).

It also has a rather elegant design and a similar usage model to our previous tool of choice, BitKeeper.

hg supports lightweight branching as of 0.9.3, I think - before that, a "branch" was a separate repository...

It's a system that's gaining support now: Sun have picked it up for some of their OpenSolaris public repositories and are in the process of converting to it.

There will be tarballs of 3.0.4 linked off one of the Xen homepages, once they have been updated. Building your own Xen is reasonably straightforward once you know your way around the components, and there should be various HOWTOs hanging around.

Hope that helps. If you still have problems with the CD-ROM we can try and find a workaround for you.
It did help. I'd be happy to write up such notes and adventures for the FAQ's or installation notes, but I'm seeing significant divergence between packages such as RedHat's with the virtmanager tool on top of it, and the bare Xen tools.

The wiki at http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/ would be a good place to put such notes - if there's not an existing section that fits, you could always create one.

Weirdness such as the failure of the RHEL 4.x SRPM published by Xensource to be able to build the documentation put me off it for a while.

Mmmm. That's quite unfortunate... Maybe this could be entered into the bugzilla? Would you mind doing that?

Other oddness such as using non-getopt based command line arguments have also slowed me down. Examples include arguments using "create" instead of "--create", and alternating the use of "DomU", and "guest", or of "migrate" and "relocate" in both configuration files nad actual command line arguments, or the "xm migrate" command having its flags at the end, just waste my time having to look up and remember all the different argument structures.

Yes, it would be nice for useability if we could standardise the terminology and, perhaps, the command structure somewhat.

Cheers,
Mark