Re: [Xen-users] xen and .1q vlans

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen and .1q vlans
From: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 16:53:59 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:54:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 19 December 2006 9:39 am, Alessio Mineni wrote:
> It happen that I can "ping" the DomU but I can't "ssh" on it; the netstat

try different ping packet sizes (eg: ping -s 1500), several common problems
with vlans affect only packets over 1496 bytes long.

check that eth1's MTU is at least 4 bytes bigger than vlanX's MTU.  if vlan2
has an MTU of 1500, eth1 must have at least 1504.

some people like to turn down vlanX MTU to 1496, but that doesn't work if the
vlan device is used for bridging and not routing.  (that's because the MTU
discovery is done watching for the 'fragmentation needed' ICMP packets, but a
bridge doesn't fragment, it simply drops what it can't handle)

--
Javier