Re: [Xen-users] VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
From: Bo <barnesno@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 11:22:41 -0500
Delivery-date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 08:21:54 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tim Post wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 15:35 -0500, Bo wrote:
>
> Bo, is it possible (with your hardware) to boot without an initrd? I'd
> look at the initrd itself.
>
> You notice unknown-block(0,0), when its obvious that you passed the
> correct root as a kernel paramater, which is correct at 1,1.
>
> My *guess*, and this is only a guess is that you could try swapping the
> order of ro and root= in your boot config. I don't work much with
> Fedora, however it looks like "ro" is being passed as the real_root_fs,
> and a default value of 0,0 is being passed to pivot root because
> obviously no block device named 'ro' exists.
>
> In other words, the order of the arguments could be an issue. Your
> initrd is "dumb".
>
> I'd try switching them, then try booting without the initrd. The chain
> vmlinuz and your initrd.
>
> This should not be an issue, but doesn't mean it isn't an issue :)
>
> Again, just a guess but a simple one to try.
>
> Hope this helps -
> Best,
> -Tim

I've gotten a bit further.  I took out a setquiet in the init script, I
put ide specs on the kernel line and I think it is finding the partition.
kernel now looks like:
module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-xen root=/dev/hdb2 ide0=1x1f0,0x3f6,14
ide1=1x170,0x376,15 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,19200n8

Here's the latest output:

Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
Switching to new root
ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: 22

Google seems to find a lot of hits on the mount: error 6, but almost all
of them are from people with roots on scsi or sata drives.  This MB has
a sata controller in addition to the ata controller, but I don't have
any sata devices connected.  I have 3 drives, hda, hdb and hdd.  With
hdc being the CDROM drive.

In comparing the output from this boot and the output from dmesg (FC4) I
see the ide-disk module must have been compiled into the kernel on FC4,
since there is output prefaced with VP_IDE: and probing the drives.

Does anyone have any clues as what to try next?  By the way this is a
CPU0: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2200+ system.

Thanks,
Jim.