Re: [Xen-users] drbd on lvm

On Dec 15, 2006, at 12:37 PM, Ralf Schenk wrote:

Brock Palen schrieb:
Has anyone ever used DRBD on top of LVM devices ?   Has anyone had a
problem with this?  Such that can grow and move around partiions etc,
and not have to use NFS on top of DRBD with spare files for storage.
Or can someone recomened a better way of doing with with no attached
shared storage.

Each server has its own hard drive, and should mirror each other.

Brock Palen
Center for Advanced Computing
brockp@xxxxxxxxx

Hello !

I'm using XEN 3.0.2-3 with Kernel 2.6.16.29 on Ubuntu Dapper Server 6.06
with a XEN DomU on a DRBD Device (Version 8.0pre6) on LVM. It's in
production only since Sat, Nov 11.

I didn't try to resize the underlying LVM device but I'm taking daily
snapshots and do rsync backups of the snapshots.

This works for me, but check out drbd.org and the DRBD changelogs
because afaik DRBD on LVM is supported only in the 8.0pre series not in
the stable 0.7.X.

In the changelog of 8.0 you find an entry:

8.0pre3 (api:82/proto:80)
--------
* Now it works on device mapper (LVM) as well as on "real" block devices. * Finally (after years) a sane "drbdadm adjust" imprementation, which is
   really really robust.
Ah i remember reading about this a year ago when i first heard about it. 0.8 has been in devolpment for a long time. How stable has it been for you? I really would like to avoid doing NFS :-) (as i kick our NFS appliance on our Compute cluster)

Ralf Schenk
fon (02 41) 9 91 21-0
fax (02 41) 9 91 21-59
rs@xxxxxxxxxx

Databay AG
Hüttenstraße 7
D-52068 Aachen
www.databay.de

Sitz/Amtsgericht Aachen
HRB:8437
USt-IdNr.: DE 210844202

Databay - einfach machen.

Diese E-Mail und etwa angehängte Dateien enthalten vertrauliche
Informationen und sind ausschließlich für den Adressaten bestimmt.
Sollten Sie irrtümlich diese E-Mail erhalten haben, bitten wir Sie,
uns darüber unter info@xxxxxxxxxx zu informieren und die E-Mail
aus Ihrem System zu löschen.

info@xxxxxxxxxxx If you are not the named recipient, you should return
this message and delete it from your system.