RE: [Xen-users] Numbering of releases

To: "john maclean" <jayeola@xxxxxxxxx>, "Xen Users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Numbering of releases
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:04:25 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 06:08:02 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm not entirely sure what the question is, but are you asking this:
When compiling Xen, should I use gcc 3.x for Xen 3.x?

If so, no, you can use gcc 4.y to compile Xen 3.x - as long as you don't
go 4.1 on a very old Xen release, as 4.1 has more aggressive
optimization and it will break HVM functionality in several places
(because this code, in older releases cheats by passing a structure as a
parameter, modifying the data within the structure and expecting those
changes to persist when the function returns, but the compiler being
very clever figures "This is a local copy, I don't HAVE to write things
back to a local copy, I'll skip this". So later versions of the code
pass a pointer to the structure and this makes the compiler understand
that it's not just a local copy, but actually refers to some memory
elsewhere in the system, and thus writes to it will have to be
performed).

If you weren't asking my rephrased question, could you please rephrase
the original question... ;-)

--
Mats