[Xen-users] Mounting NetBSD domU file-based volumes in linux dom0

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Mounting NetBSD domU file-based volumes in linux dom0
From: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 23:32:13 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:32:21 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
I installed a netbsd domU on a linux dom0, which was really easy with
the information from http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/xen/howto.html,
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/NetBSDdomU and
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-02/msg00245.html

But, as opposed to the usual process when manually installing a Linux
domU, I don't get NetBSD to create it's filesystem directly in the
block device as if it's a partition - it uses the block device as a
whole disk and creates it's own partitions/slices in there.

When trying to mount this disk in the dom0 system with lomount, I get this:

filet:/var/xen/domains/netbsd-test# lomount -t ufs -diskimage disk.img
-partition 1 imagemount/
Partition 1 was not found in disk.img.

When trying to use kpartx, I also have no success:

filet:/var/xen/domains/netbsd-test# losetup -f
/dev/loop0
filet:/var/xen/domains/netbsd-test# losetup /dev/loop0 disk.img
filet:/var/xen/domains/netbsd-test# kpartx -av /dev/loop0
filet:/var/xen/domains/netbsd-test# ls /dev/lo
log    loop/  loop0  loop1  loop2  loop3  loop4  loop5  loop6  loop7

I checked the obvious that the Dom0 Kernel has BSD Disklabel support -
it's compiled in by default on Debian:

CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL=y

Either kpartx and lomount can only handle Linux partitions, or I am
missing something.

Henning