[Xen-users] Xen VM nic cards name

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen VM nic cards name
From: Serge Robinson <serge.robinson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 14:30:46 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 04:57:52 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm using Xen 3.0.3 on Debian/Sid based on linux kernel 2.6.18. I've
created several VMs with 2 nic cards. The vif configuration is
something like:

vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0', 'bridge=xenbr1' ]

If I restart (reboot) everything, it works as expected. The VM has two
nics called eth0 and eth1.

The strange thing is that I don't know in what situation exactly, the
nic names inside the VM are eth0 and eth2 or eth0 and eth3 or eth5 and
eth1 or ...

In linux VMs, I think I can rename nics if we precise their mac
address in "vif" declaration. This way we know which nic should go
into which bridge. Yet, this is not very elegant ! It is just (may
be) a workaround.

Thanks for your help...

Serge.