[Xen-users] HVM success story, now on server environment

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] HVM success story, now on server environment
From: Skull <skull@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 11:09:19 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 02:10:40 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I had the chance to test out one of the new Sun X2200 M2 servers for a
week or so, aiming to check out the status of HVM support on these machines.

The machine was a dual-Opteron dual-core, with 8GB RAM and 1 300GB SATA
disk.

Normally I tend to use Debian on my servers, but due to lack of needed
hardware support on Debian x86_64 images, and because I had very few
time to run the tests, I used an OpenSuse 10.1 x86_64, which runs on
these machines out-of-the-box, Xen 3.0.3 included.

I had to take care of limiting dom0_mem to prevent Windows installation
from freezing the entire machine (but this is documented), and had very
annoying glitches with mouse both in SDL (mouse not working at all) and
in VNC (mouse pointer in the virtualized environment not aligned with
"real" pointer).
I had not enough time to run behind this problem, so I just completed
the installation with keyboard only, to then reach the HVM through an
RDP connection.

For all the other issues, no problem at all.

I installed 2 HVMs, both Windows 2003R2 (one with 512MB ram and 1GB for
the other), tried out installing IIS and .NET framework, since the goal
is to virtualize W32 webservers.

Performance are really good (the two HVMs were more responsive then some
of the "real servers" running the same stuff), and the overall
impression has been really good but due to the short time we had to test
them I can't say nothing more than this.

We're now managing to buy an identical machine from our Sun vendor, and
will run more tests and simulate a production environment on it, so
further informations will come in the future.

Bye!