[Xen-users] vif-route problems

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] vif-route problems
From: Hugo Mills <hugo-xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:54:44 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 06:13:10 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   I've been trying for the last couple of days to get a routed
network setup functioning, preliminary to modifying the scripts
(simply) to do ip masquerading. I'm running on a Core 2 Duo laptop,
with a single (variable) IP address.

   One problem that I've encountered is that most of the documentation
I've found (including the networking page on the Xensource wiki) seems
to be referring to netfront configurations with a vifD.I in the dom0,
rather than ioemu ones, where (as far as I can tell) you get a tapN
device. This is somewhat confusing, to say the least. (If I can get
this working, I will gladly update the wiki with better details). I
fear that the vif/tap difference may also be a cause of the following
error:

hrm@willow:scripts$ sudo xm create rhel4-base
Using config file "/etc/xen/rhel4-base".
Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Backend device not found.

   Configuration for xend is using network-route and vif-route for the
relevant scripts. The domU configuration is shown below (mostly a copy
of the hvm example configuration).

   Hugo.

---------------

#  -*- mode: python; -*-

import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
    arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
    arch_libdir = 'lib'

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 512
shadow_memory = 8
name = "rhel4-base"
#uuid = "06ed00fe-1162-4fc4-b5d8-11993ee4a8b9"

vcpus=1
pae=1
acpi=1
apic=1

vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3e:17:5e:65' ]

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/primary/rhel4-base.root,hda,w' ]

device_model = '/usr/local/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'

boot="dca"
#snapshot=1

sdl=1
vnc=0
#vnclisten="127.0.0.1"
vncdisplay=1
#vncunused=1
#vncconsole=0
#nographic=0
stdvga=0
serial='pty'
#full-screen=1
#usb=1
#usbdevice='mouse'
#usbdevice='tablet'

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
   --- Charting the inexorable advance of Western syphilisation... ---