[Xen-users] Problem with Saving a VM state

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Problem with Saving a VM state
From: George Lenzer <George.Lenzer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 00:31:45 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 02:01:23 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've been helping a friend set up a Xen system using HVM.  He has an four way
dual core Xeon box from Dell.  He's using Gentoo Linux as the base Linux OS (on
my recommendation) and he's built his Xen-3.0.3 from the source tarball (as I
do).  He's got win2k3 installed and running in a VM.  At my suggestion I got
him to set the xendomains script to run at shutdown and startup so that his
Windows VM will have it's state saved and restored automatically.  Everything
is set up right and the system attempts to save/restore the VM.  But it wasn't
working.  So I had him try to manually do the save and this is what we got:

# xm save 3 /test
Error: /usr/lib64/xen/bin/xc_save 17 3 0 0 0 failed
Usage: xm save <Domain> <CheckpointFile>

Save a domain state to restore later.

So I did some googling and found that there was a problem with the xc_save
script and there was a patch to apply.  However that was for Xen older than
3.0.3.  I manually checked as well and saw that the patch wasn't really in the
Python code in the xc_save file.  So I modified the file by hand as there were
only a few changes.  The resulting changes didn't seem to make a difference
though.  He still can't save/restore this VM.  I haven't had him try with a
linux domain yet just to make sure this isn't some odd interaction with
Windows.  Has anyone else run into this problem with the Nov 3rd Xen-3.0.3
build?  Should we grab the HG build instead?  The last time we did that it
didn't work at all which is to be expected with "in development" code.  That's
why I suggested the 3.0.3 version.  My suspicion is that this is really a
simple problem.  Let me know if there is any further info that I should provide.

Thanks