Re: [Xen-users] sata vs scsi

To: Yves Dorfsman <yves@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] sata vs scsi
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:57:23 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:58:26 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 23:05 -0700, Yves Dorfsman wrote:

> What's people experience here with xen. Have you had a half a dozen
> OS, or
> a dozen OS running with xen on sata disk ? Would one OS bog down the
> I/O
> easily ?

I have 2 80 GB ATA (EIDE) drives in my desktop, supporting a dozen or so
guests plus me working via KDE on a more active than usual dom-0 .. no
issues.

No problems on production boxes using SATA + LVM and the standard SATA
controller that comes on board. Some boxes even using 3ware raids
(big) .. really pleased with the performance.

I've only ever used SCSI drives to hold swap for guests on servers with
over 16GB (and typically lots of swapping guests) to increase swap
performance and benefits of having swap to the guests, but storage is
always SATA.

Maybe you have a bad drive, or the generic IDE driver forgot to say
"please" when talking to the controller. :)

Best,
-Tim