RE: [Xen-users] Few questions about Xen

To: smt@xxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Few questions about Xen
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:36:59 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 05:37:34 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think this is all depending on how you define "advantage". The
advantage with HVM (hardware supported virtualization) is that you can
just use the binary as it comes on any Linux CD, without it specifically
supporting Xen. The advantage with Xenified linux is that, although it
may need some configuration changes to be applied before compiling a new
kernel, it allows faster interaction between the virtualized hardware
and the actual hardware (i.e. para-virtual network driver is "faster"
than HVM-emulated driver [unless you start introducing PV-drivers in the
HVM domain] - I say faster in quotes, because it is actually more
correct to state that the HVM emulated driver needs more CPU POWER to
perform at the same level, and today you may not even be able to get to
the same level, but it is a question of CPU power to achieve that...).

Just like so many other things, there are advantages and disadvantages
with just about anything. A Ferrari is a lovely sports car, but try
moving a full-size 19" computer rack using a Ferrari and you'll see that
it's also not so good at some things... ;-)

--
Mats