[Xen-users] Identifying free pages in guest VM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Identifying free pages in guest VM
From: "Arun Babu" <arunbabu.n@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 20:45:14 -0500
Delivery-date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 17:45:34 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi
While performing migration of a guest virtual machine from a physical node to another,
it would be nice if we can figure out the free pages in the guest VM and opt not to transfer them.

1.I came across in the paper "Xen and the Art of Virtualization", that guest VM can be made
 to give the free pages back to Xen before doing migration.
2.What is the way to figure out free pages in guest VM?
3.Can this be implemented in the tools (xend) code as a part of the migration framework?
(I was able to note some code where ballooning is happeing.. ie while memory is being allocated to VM
from hypervisor but i was not able to locate a code where VM releases memory to hypervisor. Where
can I find it?)

It would be of great help if someone can  give me some pointers on this...
--
Arun
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~abnagara