RE: [Xen-users] 32bit or 64bit?

To: "Juraj Holtak" <juraj@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] 32bit or 64bit?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 13:51:24 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 07:24:48 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can run 32-bit HVM DomU on any equal or better Dom0, only
Paravirtual DomU needs to be "equal" (work is in progress to support
32-bit PV DomU on 64-bit).

> Or its better to stick with 32bit? PAE or non-PAE Version?

Either will work. With 4GB of memory, and if your platform supports
"Memory hoisting" (where the memory below 4G is moved to above 4G so
that the memory-space covered by PCI devices can be used elsewhere),
then you'd be better off using either 64-bit or 32-bit PAE so that the
memory above 4GB becomes available rather than lost. There may be BIOS
settings that enable this, or it may be "automagic", you'll want to look
at the initial E820 map from Xen to see how much memory is above 4GB (a
1 and 8 zeros is 4GB in hex). RAM is marked as "usable" in the E820 map,
and it's one of the first few things printed in the "xm dmesg" log (or
in the "dmesg" in your standard Linux kernel, but don't use Dom0's E820
to determine ACTUAL memory, as it gets modified by Xen to reflect what
Xen thinks Dom0 should and shouldn't see!).

--
Mats