Re: [Xen-users] Newbie to XEN

To: lesley.binks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Newbie to XEN
From: Thorolf Godawa <nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:23:33 +0100 (MET)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:44:05 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

> I need to use a virtual machine with SUSE 10.0 as the host and Windows
> XP Pro as the guest.
so you need at least Xen 3.0 and a system that supports hardware virtualisation (HVM).

> There is a XEN button in YAST2 bu the error I get from that states I
> must have a XEN kernel installed.
Where is the problem? Just do what they are asking to do!

Select the xen-kernel in YaST and install it together with Xen!

> I cannot afford to be in the situation where I have no useful kernel
> and no workstation.  As a freelancer I simply do not have that comfort
As freelancer you should know that RTFM is the most important thing in life! And reading news-archives can be a quite good idea too!

> issues that might arise as well as getting any paid work done.
You should name it "investment into the future", because probably you want to make money with supporting this in the future, or?

> I basically need something that works and is stable and robust.
So may be it would be the best to buy a commercial product, there you get more or less guaranteed support!

> I'm only using a 32 bit Athlon machine so I will have no 64 bit
You don't need 64 bit for using HVM guests in Xen, but you will need a VT/SVN-compatible CPU. The Intel Pentium D 9x0 or CoreDuo and AMD Athlon 64 with AM2-socket do support HVM, a list of HVM capable hardware you find in the net!

Windows ONLY will run on such a CPU, there is no way to use an Athlon XP or non-AM2 socket CPUs. For this QEMU or VMware is the only option!

> I have plenty of disk space for the installs required and expect to be
> able to dual boot from SuSE 10 and SuSE 10.1 within a day.
At least use SuSE 10.1 reloaded for your experiments and I wrote a small howto with some infos according the Xen installation/usage with SuSE 10.1.
--

Chau y hasta luego,

Thorolf