Re: [Xen-users] Question about the AMD Vs. Intel debate...

To: Doug <xen-users-x@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Question about the AMD Vs. Intel debate...
From: "Nicholas Lee" <emptysands@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:52:57 +1300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 12:53:33 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I looked at this a month or so ago.

Ignoring performance, as I haven't tested this.  I found it much easier to research and actually put together a working AMD-V solution than a Intel VT system.

If a AMD CPU has HVM, then it regardless which motherboard/bios you get it will work. With Intel you have to do some study first to figure out if your particular combination works.

This might be better marketing and not sure what the situation is now, but if you are time poor the AMD solution might be better.

I think at the top end for performance, especially with Intel's upcoming quad core (sooner than AMD), then you have to spend the time looking at Intel. Of course if you want x64 as well, then the choice might flip again.

Nicholas