[Xen-users] Memory resizing

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Memory resizing
From: Jiri Denemark <jirka@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 11:34:03 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 02:34:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.

I have a machine with 8GB of memory and I'd like to create two domUs in such a
way that each domain can use memory from about 160MB to 7800MB (set manually
using xm mem-set).

First, I create Domain-1 with memory=7800, than reduce its current memory
allocation to 160MB by xm mem-set 1 160. After that, the second domU is
started in the same way. Up to now, everything is ok.

After logging in the first domain, free tells me there is 62MB of free memory
out of total 160MB and 1GB of free swap. Then I start a process which consumes
more than 62 megabytes of memory (to be specific, view a 100+MB file with the
vim). After a while, the process is killed by OOM killer, even though there is
plenty of space available in swap. When I create the domain with memory=160,
everything works as expected, free space in swap is used and no process is
killed by OOM.

Do you have any idea where the problem could be?

Thanks a lot.

Jirka

--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very
angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.