RE: [Xen-users] HVM Domain poor network performance

To: "Ralf Schenk" <rs@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen Users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] HVM Domain poor network performance
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 11:05:06 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 02:07:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Since the network is "emulated" through QEMU, I'd expect it to be "not so
great". Exactly how great/poor depends on several factors - which type of
network device is being emulated being one of the factors. Which network type
are you using (the driver supports ne2000, realtek 8139 and one more - it used
to be an AMD Pcnet, but I think it's a Intel something or other now). Try the
different models - it's not certain that it will actually make much difference,
but trying will tell you...

Also make sure that Dom0 is running on a separate CPU (set your CPU-list in the
config such that Dom0 has one particular CPU-core, and the HVM domain uses a
different CPU-core - that way, you don't have to wait for the "other CPU to be
ready" when it's swithcing between Dom0 and DomU). Again, it's hard to say
exactly how much you get from this, but it should give you some benefit.

> Is there any way of increasing network performance for HVM guest ?
>
> I sometimes heard about "paravirtualized drivers"...

This is definitely the way to go, but as far as I'm aware, there's no PV
drivers for Windows available yet...

--
Mats