Re: [Xen-users] Network based storage - NBD/AoE/iSCSI other?

To: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Network based storage - NBD/AoE/iSCSI other?
From: Tom Mornini <tmornini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:39:43 -0700
Delivery-date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:40:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sep 30, 2006, at 11:38 AM, Ian P. Christian wrote:

I'm currently investigating setting up few Xen servers.  I've noticed
that currently live migration of Xen's require you to use a network
based storage system.

So, I've looked at a few of the options, and they all strike me as
reasonably 'new' to linux, so I'm not sure how stable these options are.

iSCSI looked like a good bet, but the fact it's using TCP/IP seems like
a crazy overhead to use when I'm most likely going to be hosting the
storage on the same layer 2 network as the servers.

Agreed.

AoE solves that above concern but I'm confused as to what would happen
should I need to move from SATA storage drives to SCSI for performance
reasons.

Are you sure that's the right solution?

There are many ways to improve performance, and adding more drives might be a better solution than SCSI drives. SATA supports NCQ, though I understand that Coraid does not yet take advantage of it, and high rotation rate SATA drives are beginning to appear.

You can have a LOT more drives with AoE than with just about any other solution out there. Additionally, they're about to introduce 10GE aggregators and this will improve latency and throughput to or above fibre channel standards.

Put me down in the AoE column :-)

--
-- Tom Mornini