Re: [Xen-users] RE: Compiling VMWare server against xen dom0 enabled ker

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RE: Compiling VMWare server against xen dom0 enabled kernel
From: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:25:32 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 06:28:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 26 September 2006 1:07 am, Christian Horn wrote:
> For kqemu its only technical reasons though, maybe vmware also prohibits
> this for business-reasons. Xen is OpenSource unlike vmware, so maybe
> technically the kqemu could be programmed to access the needed stuff
> on the xen-kernel running under dom0 ?

(as others have pointed, kqemu isn't open source)

it could be rewritten to work under Xen, but it hasn't (yet? ask fabrice).  i
guess he would first wait until Xen's API stabilises a bit more, but i have
no idea how detail-sensitive this work is

QVM86 OTOH, is GPL and has as a goal both to run on Xen and to run Xen under
it.  but last time i saw it was still very unstable.  of course, fabrice
isn't the only genius around there, so there's hope.

and for HVM... its a long-overdue hack; but only a hack over a hack over a
hack, as most x86 things.  on more sane processors this kind of things are so
much cleaner and actually have been working for years.  eg: Mac-On-Linux
(MOL) runs MacOS X unmodified under PowerPC Linux.

--
Javier