Re: [Xen-users] Re: Xen-Kernel for VIA CPU (Gerhard Wendebourg)

To: bigfoot29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Xen-Kernel for VIA CPU (Gerhard Wendebourg)
From: Harald Kubota <hkubota@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 05:29:07 +0900
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:29:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
bigfoot29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Where Xen2 (2.0.7) worked also on a Pentium, Xen3 doesn't even bother to
start. I am not sure if the code can be rewritten to suit your needs, but
I highly doubt it...
I am running Xen on a C3 1GHz. Since most (3) domUs are idle about 90% of the time, and I tax usually one at a time, performance is ok. I do not expect wonders :-)

Xen and the Linux kernel used is recompiled from source and no problems whatsoever
except for the lack of whoa-it's-fast! effect.

The pre-built binaries might require Pentium-II though. I don't use them, so I never worries about them. The newer C3s might be able to emulate a Pentium-II better than before too.
Or both.

Taxing one domU makes the whole system very sluggish. That seems to
be a problem with the scheduler in Xen and/or the lack of CPU power on the C3.

Since I can (and do) migrate domains off to the other system (dual P3) if they need
real performance, I'm ok. That's the main feature I want and get :-)

Harald