Re: [Xen-users] Booting past GRUB (RHEL4)

On 5 Sep 2006, at 08:22, Ivan Porro wrote:

Yoav Felberbaum wrote:

Well, I'm running with a 3ware RAID controller but from what I understand, this SHOULD only be an issue at a later stage of booting... How do I find out which drivers comes compiled into Xen? Have had no joy in finding a full list :(

Yes.. it should. It should happen a Kernel panic after a "no root device found" if the controller is in charge of the problem. However, if you want you can look at config-<kernel version> and inside you'll find several string, i.e. CONFIG_SMP=Y

If they are =Y the driver is compiled in. If they're =M they're compiled as module and should be present in initrd if required for boot (chipset, controllers...) and if they're IS NOT SET and commented out with # they are not present anyway in your kernel

I can't help you anymore, sorry!

No, it's  ok, I found the issue, but now I have a new problem :P

Basically, the situation is I am using IPMI to access this remote machine over Serial-over-LAN during the early booting stage. When the other kernels loaded, they echo to the serial console with no problem.

BUT the xen kernel doesn't - when the kernel loads, IPMI goes "dead". I've been over & over the documentation & can't work out why this is so. This is why I THOUGHT the xen kernel was buggy.

The relevant lines are...
---
default 1
timeout=80
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
serial --unit=1 --speed=19200 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
terminal --timeout=80 console serial
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES (2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp)
        root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp ro root=LABEL=/ console=tty0 console=ttyS1,19200n8
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp.img
title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen-3.0.gz dom0_mem=192M com1=19200,8n1
module /vmlinuz-2.6.16-xen ro root=LABEL=/ console=tty0 console=ttyS1,19200n8
        module /initrd-2.6-xen.img
---
The Red Hat linux works with serial-over-LAN, but I can't get xen working with SOL :(

Any  ideas?

Y.