[Xen-users] RE: xen dom0 crashes while copying a lot of files - nousb fo

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] RE: xen dom0 crashes while copying a lot of files - nousb for dom0 kernel fixes it
From: "John Shen" <John.Shen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 06:29:36 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 06:32:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sorry, i meant to say dom0 kernel (for passing nousb).

System Coordinator, Online Information System
Student Affairs, University of California, Office of the President

________________________________

To answer my own question, I finally figured it out that the usb was the
culprit. Passing nousb to the domU kernel solves the problem beautifully. I
accidentally bumped into the solution when I installed Fedora Core as a VMWare
guest, and xenified the FC guest without usb. The xen guest vms within the FC
vmware vm does not crash with heavy I/O.

I confirmed that usb was the problem by finding this document by dell
engineers. Had I found it earlier, I would not have wasted so much time on this
and other things that dell engineers already figured out. Oh, well, this sort
of things happens.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/power/ps2q06-20050322-Schmidt-OE.pdf#search=%22xen%20dell%20poweredge%202850%22

It works for me and hope it will also work for you. It might be useful for
others as well so I am copying the mailing list as well.