[Xen-users] bonding + vlans ALMOST working, NO ARP

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] bonding + vlans ALMOST working, NO ARP
From: "Eli Criffield" <elicriffield@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:59:11 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 08:59:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm very close to getting bonding + vlans + bridging to work.

The only part that's not working is ARP.

Why i have no idea? But if put in an arp entry for the default route
manually with 'arp -s 192.168.129.1 00:00:0C:07:0C:C9' everything
works great.  (Everything that goes though the default route anyway).

Now if i run tcpdump on any of the interfaces involved in the bridge,
eth0, eth1, bond0, vlan151 or vlan151-br, vif0,0, or veth0 (i don't
rename any interfaces) then it works fine, I get arp replays. But if i
use 'ip' to turn on promisc any of the interfaces it doesn't work,
just like it doesn't work without promisc off.

The script is a little diffrent then the last one i posted, I'll atach
it at the end.

Basically I'm combining eth0 and eth1 into bond0, add vlans to bond0
named "vlanXXX"  make a bridge named vlanXXX-br and add vlanXXX to it,
and then domU's are started with bridge=vlanXXX-br in there xen config
file to decide what vlan they should be part of.

So what is tcpdump doing to make arp work???

Eli

--- script ---
#!/bin/sh
# read in config for dom0
. /etc/xen/network/dom0

modprobe bonding
modprobe 8021q
modprobe bridge

ip link set bond0 down arp off
ip link set bond0 addr fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
ip addr flush bond0
ip link set bond0 up
ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1

vconfig set_name_type VLAN_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD

# vlans are stored in /etc/xen/network/vlans one number per line
# it'll create a vlanXXX-br bridge for eath vlan

for vlan in `cat /etc/xen/network/vlans` ; do
  vconfig add bond0 ${vlan}
  ip link set vlan${vlan} up
  brctl addbr vlan${vlan}-br
  brctl stp vlan${vlan}-br off
  brctl setfd vlan${vlan}-br off
  #ip link set vlan${vlan} down arp off
  brctl addif vlan${vlan}-br vlan${vlan}
  ip link set vlan${vlan}-br up
done

# setup dom0's ip addr on one of the vlan bridgs
# as defined in /etc/xen/network/dom0
brctl addif vlan${dom0_VLAN}-br vif0.0

ip link set veth0 addr 00:0d:60:4e:48:88 arp on
ip link set vif0.0 up
ip link set veth0 up
ethtool -K veth0 tx off

ip addr add ${dom0_IPADDR} broadcast ${dom0_BOADCAST} dev veth0
ip route add default via ${dom0_GATEWAY} dev veth0