[Xen-users] FC5/xen/iptables kernel panic -- further testing

To: fedora-xen@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] FC5/xen/iptables kernel panic -- further testing
From: master@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 21:25:54 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 22:27:07 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The current rpms of kernel 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5xen0 and xen-3.0.2-3.FC5 seem
to have a problem. If I use shorewall to create a set of iptables rules
and xend is running, I get a kernel panic whenever network IO occurs,
usually within seconds. If I shut xend down, no panic.

As an experiment, I installed the fc6 kernel -- 2.6.17-1.2517.fc6xen as
well as the somewhat later fc6 kernel and the problem was solved. However,
due to the mismatch between the kernel and xen (and the fact this is an
fc5 system), no guests will start. They crash right when init should be
starting.

So, somewhere between the 2174 and 2517 kernel versions, this bug was
fixed but is not available as an fc5 rpm set. Hence, there doesn't seem to
be a working fc5/xen/iptables combo available. Or maybe there is something
else wrong on the system. Given the 2517 kernel solved the problem, this
seems unlikely.

Does anyone have any information on when/if this fix will be backported
into fc5? As of now, I'm stuck. I can either run xen and no iptables, or
no xen and have a firewall.

I played around trying to get a later rpm version of xen installed, but
there were just too many dependencies.

I need the 2.6.17 kernel for the improved raid5 support.

Thanks,

Dave