Re: [Xen-users] iSCSI target - run in Dom0 or DomU?

To: Thomas Harold <tgh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] iSCSI target - run in Dom0 or DomU?
From: Lucas Santos <lucas.santos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:35:29 -0300
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 05:36:59 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thomas Harold wrote:

> The test unit is an AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ AM2 socket, 2GB RAM, and
> multiple SATA drives.  Since it has the AM2 socket, I believe that it
> supports AMD-V (AMD's virtual technology) so we should be able to run
> unmodified guest OSs on it.  Any guest OSs besides the iSCSI/SAN
> specific tasks will eventually be migrated off to an external box
> (either new SocketF Opteron systems or AM2 Athlon64 systems).

Very nice hardware!

> My plan for the disks is to lay software RAID over the disks (RAID1 for
> the first pair, RAID10 for the second set of 6 disks).  Then lay LVM on
> top of mdadm's software RAID before handing it off to iscsitarget to be
> divided up for use by the iSCSI initiators.

Can't you do RAID inside the disk controllers? It's much better than
software hardware (with real raid controllers).

> Specific questions:
>
> 1) The mdadm and LVM will need to happen in Dom0?

Yes, it should be in the dom0.

> 2) Should iscsitarget also run in Dom0 or should it be moved into a DomU?

Will you use iscsi to export volumes to be used for domU, right? So, it
have to be done by dom0.

> 3) I assume that ethernet card bonding should happen in Dom0 with the
> bonded interface presented as a virtual interface to the DomUs?

I tried some time ago do bounding in dom0, but it didn't work. Probable
was my fault.

Good luck.