[Xen-users] NFS DomU Client Performance

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] NFS DomU Client Performance
From: "HAWKER, Dan" <dan.hawker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:28:08 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 05:29:08 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All,

Quick question regarding NFS performance and Xen.

Have a series of Xen boxes running Xen 3.0.2 on FC5 with a stock FC5 Xen0/U
2.6.16 kernel. All things generally are great.

Was planning to deploy a couple of VMs for a couple of our software
developers so that they can test new software in relative safety, however I
am experiencing some poor performance issues with NFS.

NFSServer1 - Standard FC5 box (ie no Xen)
NFSServer2 - Xen based DomU FC5 box (exactly the same as above but runs as a
DomU)

DevClient1 - Standard FC5 box
DevClient2 - Xen DomU FC5 box

Basically, if I mount a NFS share from either NFSServers on DevClient2 it
takes a while to mount, but will eventually mount fine. If however I try to
mount a share on DevClient1 it mounts instantaneously. I have tested this on
a number of DomU boxes I have around for other services (LDAP/DNS/etc) with
similar results. Equally if I mount shares from a number of non-Xen boxes it
is again instantaneous.

Now I was expecting some overhead with Xen networking (as you'd expect) but
this is a bit more that I was expecting. From my initial testing (admittedly
probably a little rough), a simple *mount nfsserver1:/mountpoint
/mnt/mountpoint* sits there for a good 90 seconds (although the end result
is it does mount), whereas a non Xen client mounts in under a second.

It doesn't seem to make any difference whether the NFSServer is a Xen or
non-Xen environment, the limiting factor always seems to be the Xen Client.

Initially I thought this maybe DNS issues, but this doesn't seem to be the
case. I have digged around and all is normal with correct results from any
machine.

Any suggestions, is this a known problem, etc, etc??

TIA

Dan
--

Dan Hawker
Linux System Administrator

If you have received it in error then you must not use, retain, disseminate or
otherwise deal with it.
The views of the author may not necessarily constitute the views of Astrium
Limited.
Nothing in this email shall bind Astrium Limited in any contract or obligation.