Re: [Xen-users] Traffic accounting in xen.

To: Ligesh <myself@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Traffic accounting in xen.
From: "Paul M." <paul@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 06:13:40 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 23:14:19 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=uNiaLDByGKhHx75jCEKWBt7LIaVwHnVXTHungDHTwy/reIHgUEla4vr1q5yOrYARnv4j5H2Zal59B+NdZoV+e6FBfkZ9hot8gdV6ZVByqQ6+pWgADkTkbJOrQh51f8YmFnlhbIhnBwmq/BIyDd43aYIpPEWM9bHyHIvHw8Ws6Lg=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If dom0 is Linux based then IPTables can be used. You can create a
rule that matches the incoming or outgoing interface to that of one of
the domUs. The rule doesn't need an action. IPTables keeps track of
the number of packets and bytes of packets matching a rule. There are
two things that you need to keep in mind:
1) The values will roll-over at some point. I would recommend saving
and then resetting the values every week or so.
2) Your distribution might not save the current chains and packet
counts at shutdown/restart. You would need to modify your start up
scripts as needed.
-Paul