[Xen-users] Current FC5 kernel-xen rpm broken?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Current FC5 kernel-xen rpm broken?
From: master@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 07:28:39 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 08:30:13 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've just migrated a system from FC4/Xen 3.0 (old) to FC5 with xen 3.0.2.
The OS update went without issue.

Unfortunately, neither the kernel-xen or kernel-xen0 packages work for me;
they fail in two different ways:

1. kernel-xen appears to be built as PAE (not that it matters I suppose),
and does not bring up any vethx/vif interfaces. When attempting to run the
"network-bridge" script manually, it errors out saying "veth0 doesn't
exist", etc. I haven't figured out the magic required for this to work.

2. kernel-xen0 does start up the virtual interfaces successfully.
Unfortunately, the dom0 machine crashes with a stack dump when using most
any networking. I can make it fail just be connecting to the samba server
on the box and clicking on few directories. Otherwise, if I ssh into the
machine it takes a bit longer, but still crashes. If I work from the
console, it stays up indefinitely (10 hours or more).

I'd appreciate some guidance on using xen with FC5. I had hoped the
released packages would be stable and usable. The machine (when running
FC4) was as stable as a rock (up for 205 days) before I started the
migration process, so I don't think I have a hardware problem.

The only change I made on the box was to enable "PnP OS?" and turn on
ACPI. These settings had been disabled when it was running FC4.

Is my best bet to compile from source and forget about the rpms? The FC5
kernel is 2.6.17. I need to grow a raid 5 device and it's my understanding
I need .17 in order for this to be supported.

The machine only has 1Gb of ram so I don't need PAE in any case.