[Xen-users] Xen and OpenVPN

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen and OpenVPN
From: Kai Wembacher <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:12:16 +0200
Delivery-date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:13:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I have some problems with my OpenVPN server in a Xen DomU. OpenVPN works fantastic but theres a problem connecting other DomUs on this server.

I have the following iptable rule to forward the requests to the internet.

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.8.0.0/24 -j MASQUERADE

This works fine. I can connect to other DomUs on the same server but they can't answer the request.

On the other DomUs I've deleted the route to the subnet all DomUs are in. So all traffic goes trough the internet gateway in the datacenter and then back to my server with Xen.

So I have the following two routing ways:
OpenVPN Client ---> tap0 OpenVPN Server (DomU 1) ---> xenbr0 (i think) ---> DomU 2 This doesn't work ... I can connect to DomU 2 but it seems that DomU 2 can't answer this request. (I tried to connect to the SMTP-Server using telnet. The connection is logged but I don't get any answer from the SMTP-Server.)

OpenVPN Client ---> tap0 OpenVPN Server (DomU 1) ---> xenbr0 (i think) ---> DomU 2 DomU2 ---> xenbr0 ---> peth0 ---> Internet Gateway (Datacenter) ---> peth0 ---> xenbr0 ---> DomU 1 ---> tap0 ---> OpenVPN Client
This works fine but it is not the best solution.

I hope you can help me.

Best regards,
Kai Wembacher