Re: [Xen-users] NAT on 3.0.2?

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Henning Sprang wrote:

> On 8/8/06, John Wells <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > Can anyone point me on documentation that shows how to properly use NAT on
> > 3.0.2? I've got bridging working fine, but trying to switch to NAT has
> > given me problems.
> >
> > I've tried following the documentation here
> > (http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_xen3_debian_p6) to no avail. I
> > know I'm likely missing a few steps.
>

> What exactly is not working?

He seems to be at the same spot (or close) to where I was at...

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-07/msg00368.html

you can see packets leaving the domU, getting NAT'd by the dom0, going out
to an external box, being echoed back...

And here is where I run into trouble. I remember seeing the return packets
on peth0 and not eth0 as John describes, but that means I still had a
bridging config alive... and _that_ seems to trigger the kernel
issue?/bug? which produces an error message

  "Performing cross-bridge DNAT requires IP forwarding to be enabled"

and the packets not to make it across the bridge to dom0... and of course,
if dom0 doesn't get them, they do not get NAT'd back for forwarding to
domU.

I guess the problem is mixing bridging and routed modes. That said, I am
not sure I ever got it to work correctly, even using both the
network-script and the vif-script (I should test it... but my current test
configs are AOE based, and pretty much _must_ be bridged.)

I had spare IP addresses, so I just assigned a real IP and skipped trying
to do NAT.

-Tom