Re: [Xen-users] File server in domU dies on heavy traffic

To: In-Tuition Xen <listxenusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] File server in domU dies on heavy traffic
From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 09:32:11 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 18:32:39 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Aug 04, 2006, In-Tuition Xen wrote:

> > Does anyone know if this has been fixed in a the later 3.0.x builds?
> > (I hope the Fedora project release some updated FC5 Xen 3 builds, but
> > thats a different story.)
>
> Thanks for the information Adrian.  Just to be clear, are you still
> running xen-3.0.2-3.FC5 with the latest kernel-xen0-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 on
> the dom0's, but have rolled back just the domU kernels?  Since my
> xen-3.0.1-4 dom0's and U's have been running for months now I think I'll
> just stick with this version for the time being.

I've been running:

kernel-xenU-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5
xen-3.0.2-3.FC5

The kernel is from 3.0.1 if I remember - its kernel 2.6.16.13 but the server
it was compiled on has been installed over (by another FC5 setup I'm trying
to replicate the crash on!)

I need make a choice on whether to stick with the FC5 version of Xen or roll
my own older version of Xen 3.0.1. Or, since it seems to work, try dom0+Xen
3.0.2 with a kernel from 3.0.1 (patched with the relevant security fixes in
the linux kernel of course.)

> Adding the following line to your domU config makes it easy to get the
> panic messages:
>
> on_crash    = 'preserve'

I'll do that, thanks!

Adrian