Re: [Xen-users] DomU Direct Hardware access

To: William Man <billybahlah@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] DomU Direct Hardware access
From: Andrej Radonic <andrej.radonic@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 16:47:08 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 07:47:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

William Man schrieb:
When you specify vif, you are creating a virtual interface, not a way to acces the network card.

The setup i have, is the machine has 2 pci network cards. Both using pci_hide, and i create 2 vif as below:

vif = ['mac=aa:00:00:00:00:13,bridge=dmz','mac=aa:00:00:00:00:12,bridge=intranet']

This means the domU will have 4 eth connections. 2 vritual, 2 physical. It does the routing and is also the dmz server.

Other domUs, I have:

vif = ['mac=aa:00:00:00:00:15, bridge=intranet']

Allowing that machine to have access to the virtual network connection, intranet.

It's the concept of "driver domain" what I am after:

to have a domU which has exclusive access to a NIC. the driver is encapsulated in the domU and ensures security and stability of the overall system.

other domUs should be able to use this "driver" for network access. if you specify "vif" then implicitly dom0 is accessed for network connections. but there is also the vif-parameter "backend" which should enable the domU to specify a different "dom0" (in this case a domU as driver domain with privileges).

is it becoming clear what I am trying to achieve?

thx,
Andrej