Re: [Xen-users] XEN reboot issue

To: Girish Mani <girish.mani@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XEN reboot issue
From: David F Barrera <dfbp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:57:59 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 09:59:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Make sure the appropriate module is included for you file system. Here's a sample /etc/sysconfig/kernel file:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/kernel
DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel
INITRD_MODULES="scsi_mod ext3"

Girish Mani wrote:
Hi,

Thanks that worked. Basically I downloaded the source from the website, compiled it against my kernel separately. I executed a "depmod" before making the initrd. I added this entry to the grub.conf file and I moved a step forward.

When I try to reboot my machine and try to load through XEN, I get the following errors:
<<<<<<<<
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem

mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: no such file or directory

setuproot: error mounting /sys: no such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: no such file or directory

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill Init:

I came across a similar problem in the "xen-users" list. But that does not talk about any resolution.

Can you help me in this regard?

Thanks,

    http://2.6.17.3> ro
    > root=/dev/vol/root rhgb quiet
    >         initrd /initrd-2.6.17.3.img
    > title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
    >         root (hd0,4)
    >         kernel /xen-3.0.gz dom0_mem=262144
    >         module /vmlinuz-2.6-xen root=/dev/sda5 ro console=tty0

    You need to create an initrd and add a line to the Xen grub entry:
            module /initrd-xen.img

    To make an initrd, do something like this:

    mkinitrd -v -f initrd-xen.img 2.6.16.13-xen

    Also, make sure the device drivers you need (e.g. SCSI) are included/
    > I have the following concerns:
    > 1. Can someone the value that should go in the "root" field of the
    > "module" parameter? What value should this contain. Is it the "root
    > path" from where the current OS is loading (or) "boot path" from
    where
    > the current OS is loading?
    > 2. When I reboot the machine and try loading XEN, the "VFS failure"
    > error occurs. I understand this is because of the wrong value in the
    > "root" field.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    Regards,

    David F Barrera
    Linux Technology Center
    Systems and Technology Group, IBM

    "The wisest men follow their own direction. "

                              Euripides