[Xen-users] udev install fails on domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] udev install fails on domU
From: Yasir Assam <list1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:36:23 +1000
Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 04:37:13 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I recently installed Debian Sid on domU (using xen-unstable downloaded 8 July) and I'm having problems installing the udev package:

# dpkg --configure udev
Setting up udev (0.093-1) ...
Populating the new /dev filesystem temporarily mounted on /tmp/udev.t8Qeae/... ln: creating symbolic link `/tmp/udev.t8Qeae/.static/dev/xconsole' to `/dev/.static/dev/.static/dev/xconsole': No such file or directory
mount: special device /dev/pts/ does not exist
dpkg: error processing udev (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 32
udev

I had similar problems installing udev on Debian Sarge too, and I suspect it has something to do with running on domU.

It looks as though /dev/pts doesn't exist on domU systems and this is confusing the udev installer.

If anyone explain what's going on and whether this can be resolved, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Yasir