RE: [Xen-users] HVM questions

To: "Gregory Gee" <gregory.gee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] HVM questions
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:47:06 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 05:48:06 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Probably not - but reading the specs or looking at the driver would tell
(to someone who understands how these things work). PIO would be used
for cards that handle very little data at a time, serial cards or simple
cards for intefacing with external sensors for example. Anything that
does high-speed/mass-transfer work, like grapics, network- and
disk-controllers would definitely use DMA.

In the future, machines will have a IOMMU-device so the hypervisor
should be able to set up a mapping of what the guest thinks is physical
addresses and what the REAL physical address is, so that PCI-cards can
be used without modifications to the driver.

--
Mats