Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3, LVM and FC4

To: Andrew McConnell <armcconnell@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3, LVM and FC4
From: Andrew Ross <aross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 13:39:42 +1000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:41:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andrew McConnell wrote:
On 7/6/06, Andrew Ross <aross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I assume you've created a filesystem on the LV and have drivers for said
fs compiled into your domU kernel.

I created an ext3 filesystem on the LV.  Whether ext3 drivers are
compiled into the kernel is not something I can answer without some
assistance but based on the output below, it looks like it's trying to
use ext2 instead.

ext3 is simply ext2 with a journal, so ext3 volumes can be safely mounted as ext2 - you simply loose the benefit of the journal while the volume is mounted as ext2.

Warning: unable to open an initial console.

This generally means you're missing /dev/console , which makes sense, since you have an empty filesystem.

I'm guessing this is probably normal since there is nothing on the
filesystem so it can't execute /sbin/init ???

Yep.

Thanks for your help.  Can you point me to some documentation that
will clarify the next steps?  I feel like I'm not catching on to
something extremely important about this architecture...I was
expecting to be able to go through a normal OS install upon successful
creation of the new domain.

I don't really have any FC-specific experience, but my understanding is for paravirtualized guests you need to boostrap an initial system from dom0. For Gentoo domUs, the process is no different to a normal install, but for Debian you usually use debootstrap, and for rpm-based distros you can use rpmstrap.

You might want to try domi (http://dl.bytesex.org/cvs-snapshots/), which is a shell script frontend for xen domU creation - it can easily create xen domUs for a range of Linux distros.

Alternatively, I think the latest FC and SUSE setup programs support installing into locations other than /, which is probably the closest you'll get to a regular-style install.

Of course, with VMX (ie. unmodified) guests, I assume you simply boot the virtual machine from a CD image and run the installer as usual a la Qemu.

If you haven't already done so, check out the Xen Wiki (http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/) - it contains howtos for a bunch of different domU distributions.

Cheers

--
Andrew Ross