Re: [Xen-users] Xen to Desktop/Workstation questions

To: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen to Desktop/Workstation questions
From: Muli Ben-Yehuda <muli@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 21:21:57 +0300
Cc: Alexandre Miguel Pedro Gomes <alexmipego@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 11:22:39 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 07:15:23PM +0200, Petersson, Mats wrote:

> In the future, there will be hardware to support remapping the physical
> memory accesses that Windows (and other operating systems) tell to
> hardware, such that we can "adjust" the REAL memory address that (for
> example) a graphics card performs it's operations on. But it's not
> available today. This hardware is called IOMMU.

It is available on at least one IBM server family today. You can see
our on-going work to support it at
http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/xen-iommu.hg and
http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/linux-iommu.hg (although note we're
targetting safe direct device access from PV guests at the moment, not
FV guests).

There'll also be a paper and presentation about it at OLS late this
month. I gave a precursor to the OLS talk to the the local LUG earlier
today, the slides for which are available at
http://www.mulix.org/lectures/using-iommus-for-virtualization/using-iommus-for-virtualization.pdf.

Comments always appreciated :-)

Cheers,
Muli